Nick Delmonico and Christian Walker

steve4

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do know that Delmonico has a really sweet swing but needs to find a position, he has made another couple of errors fielding at 3B since coming off the DL. Walker has a nice bat (just flat out hits) and decent defence but Chris Davis is looming ahead of him. I think Delmonico projects to be the better at the moment and I wouldnt be surprised to see him move to the outfield soon.

Delmonico is far and away the better prospect. He's younger and playing better baseball at a tougher position in the same league as Walker. His primary issue right now is defense at the hot corner, but his bat will take him to the Show.

Walker has potential to be a Major League player if he can continue to progress as he gets promoted. His issue is his lack of power playing at 1B. Brandon Snyder had a similar issue, though their individual career path aren't all that similar. I kind of see them ending up the same way though.

For reference, a list of 22 year olds in the Carolina League who made it to the Major Leagues and their OPS's in A+:

Devin Mesoraco (1.035)

Matt Wieters (1.024)

Tyler Flowers (.921)

Brandon Allen (.898)

Mike Olt (.891)

Chase d'Arnaud (.883)

Ryan Lavarnway (.879)

Hunter Pence (.864)

Jeff Fiorentino (.854)

Brent Lillibridge (.849)

Nolan Reimold (.834)

Danny Espinosa (.834)

Pedro Alvarez (.827)

Brandon Hicks (.815)

Jacoby Ellsbury (.797)

Jed Lowrie (.726)

Roger Bernadina (.724)

But even Luke Scott, who didn't make it to A+ ball until 26 years old, OPS'd .894 and had a nice MLB career anyway. Anything can happen, but typically the younger players in A+ make for better major league regulars.

Walker's plate discipline in college and at Delmarva is one thing that differentiates him from Snyder. We'll have to see how it holds up at Frederick. I think it will give Walker a better chance of succeeding as he rises up through the system. Whether the power develops is another question. I think Snyder played at Frederick at age 21, just as a side note.

Bingo. He's also considered a better defensive first baseman than Snyder. He does have similar issues with a lack of big time power for a first baseman, but his other skill sets give him a bit of a leg up. If he can keep up the plate discipline and high average as he moves up he'll move up on the prospect list.

Bingo. He's also considered a better defensive first baseman than Snyder. He does have similar issues with a lack of big time power for a first baseman, but his other skill sets give him a bit of a leg up. If he can keep up the plate discipline and high average as he moves up he'll move up on the prospect list.

Christian Walker or a healthy Tyler Townsend -- who ya got? At age 22, Townsend had a .954 OPS in Delmarva and .937 at Frederick -- but naturally, he only managed to play 72 games.

My guess is that Townsend would project as the better offensive player of the two. However, Walker hopefully can stay in one piece, unlike Townsend.

A bit off topic, but Jason Esposito has only played in one game since Walker's promotion (he went 0 for 4). Esposito has the worst OPS in the Carolina League.

Gotta wonder why the O's scouts thought Esposito's bat would allow him to be a top prospect. I'd like to think that if they knew they were getting Delmonico, they wouldn't have drafted Esposito.

Christian Walker or a healthy Tyler Townsend -- who ya got? At age 22, Townsend had a .954 OPS in Delmarva and .937 at Frederick -- but naturally, he only managed to play 72 games.

My guess is that Townsend would project as the better offensive player of the two. However, Walker hopefully can stay in one piece, unlike Townsend.

Townsend had more power than Walker, but Walker is more disciplined. I haven't seen Walker live yet so I'm reserved on him for now, but I'd like to see the power come on a bit more while keeping his average and player discipline where they are.

Gotta wonder why the O's scouts thought Esposito's bat would allow him to be a top prospect. I'd like to think that if they knew they were getting Delmonico, they wouldn't have drafted Esposito.

It just looks like the scouts who said Esposito had a slider-speed bat were right afterall. Unfortunately, the Orioles employed the guys who said he didn't, and just had his approach changed by Vanderbilt coaching. He's starting to look like the worse top two draft pick since Corey Shafer.

if Esposito is struggling at the plate than why doesn't any one help this kid ? His glove is above any one else on Frederick . Saw him many times play third this year at Frederick no question he can play the corner. Kid needs help hitting. Just as Nicky will get his help at third .

if Esposito is struggling at the plate than why doesn't any one help this kid ? His glove is above any one else on Frederick . Saw him many times play third this year at Frederick no question he can play the corner. Kid needs help hitting. Just as Nicky will get his help at third .

Not sure how you cure a slider speed bat.

Why would you assume they're not trying to help their 2nd Round pick?

The same way you would with slow foot work . Hitting an Fielding coaches that we have . Has anyone else seen this kid play third beside me . Nicky can swing the bat for sure but will never see third base in the majors.

The same way you would with slow foot work . Hitting an Fielding coaches that we have . Has anyone else seen this kid play third beside me . Nicky can swing the bat for sure but will never see third base in the majors.

Do you have any information about the coaches shunning him? Do you think the coaches should only concentrate on him?

Archived